Major arts and culture institutions in Pima County stand to benefit if voters approve seven bond propositions in November.
The bonds will fund libraries, parks and recreation, natural area conservation and historic preservation and tourism-related projects including expansions and improvements to the Arizona-Sonoran Desert Museum, Old Tucson, Reid Park Zoo, Children’s Museum Tucson, Music Hall Theater and Colossal Cave Mountain Park.
Among the projects included in Proposition 427 are:
- Rehabilitating the historic Canoa Ranch complex, a cultural and historic centerpiece of Santa Cruz Valley
- Renovating the Tucson Convention Center’s Music Hall, Leo Rich Theater and Eckbo Landscape
- Restoring the Old Pima County Courthouse
- Rehabilitating the Historic Temple of Music and Art, home to Arizona Theatre Company
- Remodeling and expanding Children’s Museum Tucson
- Expansions to the Tucson Museum of Art and Historic Block
- Restoration of the Mission San Xavier
Americans for the Arts reported that Pima County’s arts, culture and history attractions and amenities generate $87.7 million in total economic activity. This includes creating 2,602 full-time positions, generating $55.3 million in household income and contributing $8.1 million in local and state government revenue.